Wednesday, July 2, 2025

Alaska again

When my dad told me he wanted to take us to Alaska again, did I hesitate to say yes even though I was going 4 weeks prior? For like half a minute and then I was in.

Since I already loaded up this blog with photos of my trip last month, I selected the best of the best to give just an idea of how this trip was different.

Day 1
We sailed from Vancouver. What an amazing port, right in the heart of downtown.
On this trip I had my mom and dad, Aunt Sue and Uncle Doug, my sisters Mary and Meredith, cousins John and Nancy, nephews Jake and Isaac and my niece Myra. I was just missing a brother to cover all the possible relations. 


Day 2

This beef tenderloin was the best meal I ate all week. 

Here are my parents. Alaska is my dad's favorite place in the whole world. He was described as "bubbly" by my nephew. 

Day 3
Finally made it to Creek Street in Ketchikan on my visit. These colorful shops are so fun.
Jake and Isaac ordered the Princess Chocolate Dreamboat to share (they are brothers) and took a picture of it.

Day 4

In honor of Henry, I walked to the Alaska State Capitol in Juneau. I was just going to stay outside but I needed to go to the bathroom so I went in and wandered around for like an hour looking at some amazing art.

Leonardo Davinci and Tina Fey ;)

Mary Lynn and Mary Sue out on the back deck. We laughed a lot on this trip.




Day 5

Here we all are
The fog on the van ride up to Canada made me nervous we wouldn't get a good view ever. Luckily it was clear at top so our train ride back down to Skagway was scenic after all.
This picture makes me laugh.

Day 6

Hot take: Glacier Bay has prettier mountains than glaciers (besides this awesome picture I took)



I spotted the bears! Go me!

Day 7

Hot take: College Fjord has better glaciers than Glacier Bay. Solve this conundrum by visiting both. Below is Harvard Glacier.
And this glacier is Yale.

Day 8


Alaska be so Alaska sometimes.
How did Utah sweatshirts end up in the Anchorage airport? No one knew but I'd like to think this photo is a metaphor for my life this summer.


Video calls with my kids kept us all sane. I missed them but it sure was fun not having to be mom on this trip.

And I took this photo at midnight. The sun was still up, just behind the airport. Alaskan summers mess with my head.

I hope this doesn't mean I'm good for a real long time without an Alaskan trip. What a wonderful summer to go twice!

No comments: