Tuesday, September 30, 2025

Growing and Doing




James and Erica were fortunate enough to tag along with Justin and I to dinner one night before going to Henry's game. We made them go to Cupbop because 1. Justin and I like it and 2. We thought they would like it because they like noodles and rice. We were mostly right in that James liked it just fine but Erica was disappointed and sad. So on our way out of the restaurant I ordered her a crazy cheese/sausage dog. 

Disappointment forgotten.



We caught this beautiful double rainbow at the end of the game.
I took this picture because I just really like the row of big maple trees down my side of the street.
We had stake conference and I mostly listened. For a good hour James was teaching himself cursive handwriting and peppering me with questions and coaching. He got pretty good!
That night Justin took the kids up for a night to his dad's elk hunt camp.

A mom of one of James's good friends asked me if I had a daughter in sixth grade. Yes I do. She told me that one of the young women in her ward had recently moved to Mapleton but it was slow going making friends (she has a twin sister with special needs in a wheelchair). That day was their birthday and she was so sad she didn't have anyone coming to her birthday party and if Erica wasn't busy, could she come and bring any friends that might be free. Why yes, yes we can. During school I bought presents for the sisters and texted Erica's friend's moms. I picked up 3 girls and we went to the party. On the way there, Delaney said "it's like a surprise party for everyone!" I thought they would only want to stay for a half hour or so but they shooed me away and ended up staying until way past dark playing night games and drinking way to many sodas.
They are such kind girls. Erica tells me that the new girl was actually in one of her classes so now she talks to her everyday and that she eats lunch with one of the friends that came with us. It has been a sad month and I really really needed to see some kindness and goodness in the world.

Look how cute my zinnias are! After peaches, they are my favorite thing to grow in our garden.
Grinding elk roasts into hamburger meat. You're saying you don't do this on your kitchen counter regularly?

Homecoming! Sarah was so excited for this dance. Her group was pretty much just all the boys in her friend group asking all the girls in her friend group.



My third favorite thing to grow are tiny pumpkins! I didn't know I was growing weirdos this year but I like them.

This is a copyright infringed screenshot of James's school picture.
Erica danced at half time of the JV game as part of the Jr Drill class. She has done this a few years 
Her friend backed out last minute so she didn't know anyone in her group but she still had fun.


James's football season ended. He said he would have played more games until it got too cold to play. His favorite position is safety.  He watches that quarterback like a hawk and does what it takes to pull the flag on the receiver, even dive to the ground or take a cleat to the shin.
Finally tricked Henry into taking care of an ingrown toenail. He had an hour's notice that I was checking him out of school. He was mad then but he's okay (and pain free) now.

The picture on the left is my second attempt at painting my dining room. The paint under the stairs wall was my first paint color but it turned out so pink I couldn't handle it. The picture on the right is how it has ended up. I like the mushroom color (it really is called mushroom by Sherwin Williams) but painted the stairs wall back to white because I didn't like how the stairs zig-zag looked more pronounced.


I've also been buying, trying on, and returning clothes from Amazon like it's my fulltime job. I hate buying summer clothes in fall but our trip to Florida next month requires it. When we get back, I'm trying on all the hoodies and slippers!

I need to document our schedule because I do like reading the ones I've done in the past.

7am Justin goes to work, the biggles and I are up and getting ready
7:25 Henry rides his bike to school
7:30 Sarah drives to school
8:00 Erica rides her bike to school with her friend
8:30 James rides his bike to school with a couple of friends
During that time I help the kids get ready, clean the house, prepare stuff for the day. I kind of like seeing them off one by one. Everyone makes their own lunch but I help where I can.
While everyone is at school I have been doing lots of yard work, painting (and painting again) the dining room, chores, house cleaning, repairing stuff, running errands, etc.
2:45 Sarah and Henry arrive home
3:25 Erica arrives home
3:40 James arrives home
Mondays and Thursdays and Saturdays, Sarah works at Reams
Mondays and Wednesdays James has a football game at 5 or 6
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Henry has football practice from 5:30-7:30
Wednesdays James has piano lessons at 4:30
Wednesdays Justin and Sarah have ym/yw
Fridays the biggles go to the high school game and Justin and take out to dinner whatever children didn't run off with friends.
Saturdays Justin and I go to Henry's football game. We've gotten lucky this season and all his games but one have been in neighboring towns.
We've eaten dinner together 5 times this month and that has happened either on Fridays before the kids go off with friends or at 5pm on a Tuesday or Wednesday before Henry leaves for practice.

Sarah is quitting her job now that swim team is starting. Henry's season ends in October and then Sarah's swim meets start in November and go until February. James has basketball in December and January and then Erica has hockey January through March. Henry gets to be the one to hang out with me and support his siblings in their sports.

No comments: