Tuesday, December 16, 2025

So much going on when all I really want to do is eat fudge and watch Miracle on 34th Street.

First up, all the Christmas decorations.
I got an automatic timer outlet thing for the tree and it has changed my life. No more climbing behind the tree twice a day to reach the plug.
Plus the candles in the windows are on a timer too and it's so fun to watch them turn on at sunset.

I'm loving this Christmas tablecloth that I bought for $8 last summer. It makes me so happy.
Enjoy some other Christmas stuff. I like to look back on past years so that's why I take pictures and put them here.






We went to his parent teacher conference. He is so smart and we all knew that. He's pretty much dominating every subject. I love this art project hanging in the hall. I hope he gets to bring it home soon.
It wouldn't be the Christmas season without making treats all the time. These are hot cocoa cookies and they were so good. It has like a cup of hot chocolate powder in the dough and it created a better tasting chocolate cookie than just cocoa powder alone. I would leave out the little freeze-dried marshmallows if I wasn't making them at Christmastime. They don't add much flavor or texture but they look cute. Maybe white chocolate chips instead.
How is this rose shrub still putting out flowers like it's summer? Sure, we've had a crazy warm December but not that warm. It's not called an iceberg rose for nothing.

Erica wanted to do a gingerbread house but no one else was interested so she happily worked on it by herself for hours. Her friend Ellie came over and helped her finish it. She was so happy the entire time.
This is our ward's Christmas breakfast. All the primary kids sang "Picture a Christmas" and they did a great job. Ward members brought breakfast casseroles, fruit, pancakes, whatever they wanted, and the ward provided cinnamon rolls and milk and juice. Best part was we shared the decorations with the 2nd ward who had their party later that day so we didn't have to take anything down.
Later that morning the kids painted ornaments. This year were snowmen.


I don't know if our tree can handle any more ornaments!




There are two movies that must be watched or it isn't Christmas. Garfield's Christmas Special and Will Vinton's A Claymation Christmas Celebration (I have them on DVD but here are some good links if you don't want to make the investment quite yet.) These were my favorites as a kid and they are now my kids' favorites too. They have them memorized and I'm pretty sure that's my greatest accomplishment as a parent.

"Do you think we are the only people that are watching this this year?" I asked.
"Oh absolutely," they replied.

What's nice about only having 9 hours of daylight is that I am definitely awake and aware of the sunrise and sunset. We've had some stunners.
I'm late to the watercooler discussion on this but it's true: ice cream is no longer ice cream. 
Well some ice cream is no longer ice cream. The powers that be say if it doesn't have enough cream in it, it's not ice cream so it's labeled as a frozen dessert.
I'm happy to report that this affected brands and flavors I never buy anyway.
Justin and I were in charge of the entertainment portion of his work Christmas party. I wrapped up all the presents we bought on black Friday and we hauled them to an event center at Thanksgiving point. After dinner we played a group game of Wits and Wagers with Christmas questions and then we did the gift exchange. 

Afterwards, Steve Anderson, the founder of Anderson Engineering, did a presentation on the beginnings of the company.

I missed a few weeks of Sarah's swim meets (away meet, cancelled meet, James's parent teacher conference) so I was surprised and pleased as anyone to see Sarah win her heat in the 50m free!

Her coach told her that her stroke looked technically perfect the entire time. Pretty good for a girl who is not out there to win but just do her best.



Saturday Justin and I went to a movie. That should be a headline in and of itself. I can't think of the last movie the two of us saw. Seriously. We saw Hamnet and then went to Holy Taco. Both good. It was a good night.
No one loves guacamole more than Erica. No one.

James's basketball season is in full swing. He is on the same team as his friend George and they are having so much fun.
He is a great defensive player, just like when he plays football. He's always watching the ball and gets right in there. Last night Henry kept track of his stats and we were all impressed at how many rebounds he got.
Erica drew this on my phone during the game.

A couple of the third grade teachers even came to the game. That was so nice of them. Miss Willis is standing behind James. He is 4/4 having amazing elementary school teachers. His bff is George, #11.

First photo is caramel cooked too hot and got too hard so I melted it back down and added more cream. It turned out like fudge. Delicious but not what I was going for. Second photo is a large portion of that fudgy caramel that I again melted down. I added butter, cream, and corn syrup and brought it back up to soft ball temp. It created a gooier caramel with richer flavor that Erica and Henry say is the best caramel ever. Last picture is the caramel how it was intended to be. I just had to start all the way over but nailed it that time. So come over and try all three versions!
I still have a list of treats to make and movies to watch and fun Christmas things to do. I just need everything else to stop so we can get to it!

1 comment:

Jenny Evans said...

I love when you can share decorations with the other ward for events! Once I was the RS counselor over activities, which was a really hideous calling for me because any kind of event planning practically gives me hives, and one of the activities was the night after a wedding reception. They left most of the decor up and I didn't have to do anything!